You may have heard the old saying “Don’t repair your broken down car, dismantle it and sell the parts!” This sounds like good advice on the surface. In theory, if you have a vehicle that has broken down, and is more costly to repair than it is worth, the way to get the most money from it is to part it out. However, the reality is a little more complicated than that.
So, the answer as to whether or not it is a viable option for you to embark on this mission needs some serious consideration before it can be answered. But that shouldn’t stop us from trying. Should you make the attempt at taking your car to pieces and selling the parts off via the private market? Or is it actually a more pragmatic option to sell it to a Cash for Car Company? Let’s find out, shall we? Yes. Let’s do just that!
What you need in Order to Part a Car Out
It goes without saying that parting a vehicle out into its individual components will require a fair bit of your time and effort. But it is fair to say that if you are even considering this as an option, you already realise this and have decided you have these resources. However, that isn’t all you will need.
On top of the time and elbow grease, you also need to know what you are doing. In other words, do you have the required experience and expertise? Your mechanical skills will need to be up to snuff if you are to carry out this endeavour with any level of success. Otherwise you may be throwing money away instead of making it.
Of course, skill and knowledge isn’t all you will be needing. Here is a list of things to consider before you undertake the task of dismantling a vehicle:
- As has been mentioned, you need to set aside some time. Do you think you have the time to set aside in order to get it done?
- Will you be making enough money to make this worth your while?
- Do you know what other options you can choose instead that may be more down to earth?
- Where do you plan on selling these parts if you do manage to complete the task of dismantling your vehicle without damaging the components in question?
- Do you know how much all the parts will sell for second hand?
- Do you have all the correct tools for the job
All of these questions need to be answered before you start. This process may take one weekend at the very least if this is the first time you have done it. An expert may be able to do it in one day, or seven hours at the least.
Pros and Cons of Parting a Car Out
- More Money: If you sell the car whole to a Cash for Car Company, they will be doing the very job we are talking about. As they are both paying you, and making money themselves, we can be sure that you will be getting less than if you were to be doing it all yourself.
- Gain Experience: If it is your first time doing this, you will learn a lot about the mechanics behind a car. Even if you botch the job up, you will learn something. Maybe you will learn to never try dismantling a car ever again.
- A huge mess in your garage: This task requires a lot of space, so your garage will be in disarray. You may decide to complete the task on your driveway instead. You will still have a huge mess to clean up after you have stopped working for the day.
- The risk of damaging parts: Lack of expertise can increase the risk of damaging the parts accidentally, making them worthless or in need of repairing.
- Money and Time Spent: You will lose out on at least one day of doing something else, and if you had to buy or hire certain tools, this will cost you money.
Selling to a Best Cash for Cars Melbourne Firm
The other option, of course, is to sell your vehicle whole to an auto wrecking cash for car service. A Car Wreckers & Dismantling experts of this type will buy your car off you no matter how bad its condition is. They then take it back to their salvage yard and part the car out themselves. All the used parts are then reconditioned and tested, then they are added to their used parts stock. Here are the pros and cons:
- The process is fast: From the moment you contact the company either over the phone or online, to the moment they take your car, a day will have passed at the most. This is in stark contrast to the amount of time it normally takes to sell a car.
- You don’t have to put in any effort: The crew working there will come over and take your car off your hands. The removal is often free, rather than paying you less money to make up for the cost. And you don’t have to do any work parting the car out. They will be doing that.
- You will get paid: This is far better than just disposing of a vehicle and getting nothing in return. Cash for Cars Companies pay a fair and generous cut of the profits that they expect to get from the car after they salvage the parts and materials.
- No risk: If you are inexperienced, you risk damaging all the parts and making no money at all. Selling the car to a cash for Car Company ensures that you get money no matter what, with no risk at all.
- Less Money: You won’t get as much money for the car as you would have if you had successfully parted the car out yourself.
If you don’t have any experience, you should sell to a Scrap Auto Removal Company like CashforCarsVic who operates across Western, Northern, Eastern and Southern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria and getting an online quote is obligation free. Otherwise you are risking losing money instead of making it, and there will be a big mess to clean up. Sell your car for cash now and thanks us later.
WRITTEN BY Vic Cash For Cars | August 2, 2018